WSET Level 1 Award in Wine
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines (formally known as the WSET Foundation Certificate) is usually run as a one day course. Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications which are suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts. As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) Glasgow Wine School has been certified to offer this qualification as part of the UK's Qualifications and Credits Framework which is accredited by OfQual.
Note: upcoming dates are at the bottom of this page.
WSET Level 1 Prerequisites – None. We assume we are starting at the beginning of your wine journey, and thus, no previous wine experience is necessary.
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1?
- The WSET Level 1 Award in Wine is intended to establish the basic skills and product knowledge required in the service and retail of wine; it is ideal for preparing a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
- This course is also a good introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to study in a structured way: the qualification will cover skills such as identifying wine styles, practice of storing and serving wine, and food and wine matching.
- WSET courses are the educational core of the wine industry in the UK and a must for anybody considering joining it. They provide a structured and progressive set of courses and qualifications that are nationally and internationally recognised. Overview of WSET Courses
WSET Level 1 Course Content
- Wine Tasting : Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine : Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties : Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties : Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines : White: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted : 9 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive the Foundation Certificate Study Guide
- Level 1 Course Specifications
- Duration of course : 1 day inclusive of examination. Lunch also included
- Examination : 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Course Tutor: Justin Hoy
Justin has 25 years experience in the wine industry A qualified winemaker, with an interest in a wine farm in South Africa, he has over 20 vintages under his belt, including vintages in Australia, Burgundy and Bordeaux as well as South Africa. Justin is certified for teaching WSET Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 courses. With high pass rates Justin's courses are thoroughly enjoyable but informative and educational.
Local Wine School (of which Glasgow Wine School is a part) is the UK's largest network of WSET certified educators. Over 1,400 successful WSET candidates in 2015. Chris Powell, the founder of our network, Local Wine School, won the coveted Riedel WSET Educator of the Year2015 award.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click HERE to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
Where to after the WSET Level 1 Award?
After the Level 1 the next natural step is the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits, this is a three day course normally run over three consecutive Saturdays.
WEEKDAY EVENINGS. The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines is the ideal starting point for anybody new to wine or those beginning a career in wine or hospitality. What the
Places remaining: 0
Date/Time: 3rd Nov 2020 at 7.00pm
SATURDAY COURSE. The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines is the ideal starting point for anybody new to wine or those beginning a career in wine or hospitality. What the
Places remaining: 6
Date/Time: 15th Nov 2020 at 2pm