WSET Level 3 Online - Saturdays and Sundays
The Level 3 Award in Wines is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and build upon the knowledge gained at Level 2.
You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations.
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered online over 6 days with a minimum of 80 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 3 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course fee includes an attended examination with Glasgow Wine School.
What’s Covered on the Course:
- Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
- The key characteristics of the principal
- still wines of the world
- sparkling wines of the world
- fortified wines of the world
- How to make appropriate wine recommendations
- How to taste wines using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
Successful candidates will be able to taste and describe with confidence the characteristics of the principal wines of the world and give information on the key factors influencing style, quality and price. Those who work with wine will be in a great position to advise management, to answer customer queries authoritatively, and to make informed selections of wines in a variety of situations.
- The Level 3 Award in Wines is designed to build on a solid foundation of knowledge, equivalent to that which is gained through Level 2 Award in Wines (previously known as the Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits). For this reason, the course is recommended to students who have achieved the WSET Level 2 qualification, however this qualification isn't a requirement to enrol onto this course.
- You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on this course.
- The course is delivered online and in English therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required. Additionally, the course assessment requires your answers to be hand-written, therefore a good level of written and spoken English is very beneficial.
A code for an E-Book study pack will be sent to you once the booking is confirmed, and it is highly recommended that the course textbook is read prior to the start of the course if possible.
For the full Specification of the course please click HERE. This should be read before attempting the course
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Monday 8th February 2021 at 4pm: Registration Deadline
VIRTUAL CLASSROOM DATES:
- Saturday 27th February 2021 at 9:30am – 4.30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: there will be a one hour lunch break)
- Sunday 28th February 2021 at 9:30am – 4.30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: there will be a one hour lunch break)
- Saturday 6th March 2021 at 9:30am – 4.30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: there will be a one hour lunch break)
- Sunday 7th March 2021 at 9:30am – 4.30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: there will be a one hour lunch break)
- Saturday 13th March 2021 at 9:30am – 4.30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: there will be a one hour lunch break)
- Sunday 14th March 20201at 9:30am – 4.30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: there will be a one hour lunch break)
EXTRA STUDY SESSIONS
- There will also be two 1 hour sessions from 8pm to 9pm to cover any questions on dates that will be agreed to once the course starts. We would be happy to schedule any one-to-one online sessions at agreed times with anyone if required.
NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
- Sunday 21st March 2021 at 11.00am – 4.00pm: Theory and Blind wine Tasting Exam. To be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Cambridge Street
To obtain the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an IN-PERSON exam that is made up of two components. The Theory Exam (50 multiple-choice questions and 4 comprehensive short written questions) and the Tasting Exam (blind assessment of two wines). You must achieve at least 55% on both the Theory exam and the Tasting exam to pass the exam.
The course will have 6 full LIVE virtual taught lessons, two one hour evening sessions with (Justin Hoy DipCWA or Mike Cottam DipWSET). These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule.
Students will be scheduled to attend the exam on Sunday 15 November 2020 upon enrolment.
The Course Fee of £475 Includes:
- Course online study pack (Password emailed to students)
- Access to full LIVE virtual taught lessons taught by Justin Hoy and Mike Cottam
- Professional WSET tuition
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
PLEASE NOTE: The course price does not include the price of the wine, which will be purchased seperately by by yourself. We do not profit from the wine sales.
We will be tasting around 64 wines as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee. The wines come from Vinovae, and consist of 20cl bottles, which you will order directly from them. (These sample bottles are approved by the WSET for use with this course as providing “ sufficient to taste each wine and complete a tasting note”). The cost for the set of 64 wines from Vinovae is £250, and details will be sent upon booking.
You will be tasting the wines as part of the online Zoom tutorials, which we will be doing together, and which will include the tasting of the wines, taking notes and the feedback of each wine.
You will need six ISO tasting glasses for the tastings as these are what we will use for the exam. These can easily be purchased on Amazon or Ebay if you don’t already have some
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware IMMEDIATELY if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Sat 27th Feb 2021 at 9.30am - 4.30pm
Duration: 7 Hours x 6 Sessions
Venue: Online Zoom Tasting